Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pedigree Analysis


I let my mom try the PTC paper and she tasted it and didn't like the taste. I also then  let my dad try it and he could taste it to. I had tasted the PTC paper and I could taste it and it didn't taste very good. Then i went to my grandparents and gave it to them. My grandma tasted it and she didn't like it. But when my grandpa tasted it, he really didn't taste anything.


I had read an article about the blue skinned people of Kentucky. The Fugate progeny had a genetic condition called methemoglobinemia, which was passed down through a recessive gene and blossomed through intermarriage Susan Donaldson James had wrote in her articleMethemoglobinemia is a blood disorder in which an abnormal amount of methemoglobin. Hemoglobin is responsible for distributing oxygen to the body and without oxygen, the heart, brain and muscles can die, and it is unable to carry oxygen and it also makes it difficult for unaffected hemoglobin to release oxygen effectively to body tissues. Patients' lips are purple, the skin looks blue.Normally, people have less than about 1 percent of methemoglobin, a type of hemoglobin that is altered by being oxidized so is useless in carrying oxygen in the blood. When those levels rise to greater than 20 percent, heart abnormalities and seizures and even death can occur.But at levels of between 10 and 20 percent a person can develop blue skin without any other symptoms. Most of blue Fugates never suffered any health effects and lived into their 80s and 90s.

No comments:

Post a Comment